Sunday, November 18, 2007

The Evil Apple


So this isn't an apple tree...

Okay-- I hate apples! Well I don't but my body does and lets just say that if I eat one it's not pretty. All that being said I have been begging the hubs to take a day trip with me to Oak Glen. Yes, I was willing to brave my discomfort to go visit the place that I have heard so much about. The things that caught my attention were their seasonal fare which includes choose your own pumpkin patches and family style Christmas tree farms. There is also a local delicacy called apple cider donuts which I was anxious to try .


Well on Saturday we (hubs and I) finally made it to the famous Oak Glen. It is in or near Yucaipa--not really sure which. We drove this long scenic route to get there and it was so beautiful. I love the country outdoor feeling I got going through the winding roads. Mr. blog even suggested that we open the car windows so we could take in the fresh air.



G taking the wheel

We visited 3 ranches. There are cute little shops you can look in for things like homemade crafts, pantry items, and fresh baked goods. The shops carry other types of fruit products but you must realize that this is the place that pays homage to the apple. I am not sure how many different varieties we encountered but there were some varieties I am sure I have never seen like mini Fugi Apples. Most shops that were selling apples had samples of them so you could taste. The Snow-Line Orchard even let you sample their cider! The apple cherry was delicious --even if my tummy didn't think so. Also to be noted are the apple cider donuts that are made fresh at the ranch. 12 mini donuts ran us $3.00 and we devoured the still warm donuts as we walked around the ranch.


We ended our day with lunch at an outdoor bar-b-que at Riley's at Los Rios Rancho. We noticed that the cash register at this place was on overdrive with people ordering pies and que. There were tables inside and picnic tables outside where families and couples dined. We each ordered our own beef tri tip sandwiches and shared: potato salad, lemonade, and a warm apple turnover. Driving back toward home we stopped at a roadside stand and purchased some avocados. I will be turning them into guacamole pretty soon. All in all we had a great Saturday and look forward to going back.

1 comment:

Angie Eats Peace said...

I love Oak Glen, but have not been in so long! Looks like fun.